What is pre-test counselling?
Pre-test counselling is a process to give informed consent for genetic testing. It is a requirement to have this before any genetic tests are done.
The discussion includes:
- Genetic information relevant to testing and the disease tested for
- Benefits and limitations of genetic testing
- Potential insurance implications for yourself and family/relatives
- Possible outcome of results including implications for family members
- Psychosocial issues and anticipated reaction to results
- Previous and current mental health history, and emotional support during and after genetic testing
- Sharing information with family members
- Reproductive options, if relevant
- Treatment and screening options
- Referral to geneticists/other specialists as required